JFK's design with multiple
smaller terminals (most have less than 20 gates) makes it an
unattractive connecting hub.
JFK could consolidate terminals for each
alliance and for
intra-alliance or non-alliance transfers, the best thing would be a new
airside airtrain system behind security to make transfers a breeze.
Terminal 8 opened in 2007 and was one of the most beautiful terminals in the USA. It's used by American Airlines.
Top 10 US airport gateways in foreign passenger arrivals in 2008:
1. JFK with 21,952,364 passengers
2. LAX with 16,153,392 passengers
3. MIA with 15,665,875 passengers
4. ORD with 11,015,251 passengers
5. EWR with 10,923,162 passengers
6. ATL with 9,218,205 passengers
7. SFO with 8,353,143 passengers
8. IAH with 7.577.523 passengers
9. IAD with 5.,978,374 passengers
10. DFW with 4,828,654 passengers