Algiers, northern Algeria

Algiers is the principal Mediterranean port of northwestern Africa. It is located on the Bay of Algiers, and is the capital and largest city of Algeria. Population (1987) 1,483,000.

News paper : www.elwatan.com

The city is divided into two sections:

The lower part is the modern city, built by the French, with wide boulevards, theaters, cathedrals, museums, an opera house, and many educational institutions, including the University of Algiers and several Muslim schools.

The upper part is the old city, with narrow, twisting streets dominated by the Casbah, a 16th-century fortress built by the Turks, which lends its name to the entire quarter. With the post-World War II population increase, and the crowding in the native quarter, suburbs have burgeoned.

algeria-business.com

Algiers has a major international airport and is the hub of a network of railways and roads. Its strategic position and fine harbor combine to make Algiers a major shipping center and a principal Mediterranean refueling station.

History :Albert Camus lived in Algiers.

By 1200 BC the Phoenicians had colonized the site and set up a coastal trading post.

Major cities near Algiers:

West
Malaga
670 km
Northwest
Valencia
430 km
North
Barcelona
500 km

East
Tunis
630 km


Southwest
Rabat
Southwest
Fes
780 km

Northeast
Marseille
760 km

Southeast
Tripoli

 

2747.com - Up