Bombay Harbor, a broad, sheltered bay located between the city and the mainland, is one of the world's greatest natural harbors.
The port receives a large portion of India's total imports and is a shipping point for goods produced in western India.
Two major railroads terminate in Bombay, providing service to all parts of India.
In 2005 the port of Mumbai handles about 2/3th of the import-exports by sea in India.
The area was incorporated in the kingdom of Gujarat in 1348. The city, a cluster of seven islands, was named by its native Koli fisherfolk after the goddess Mumbadevi.
In 1534 it was acquired by the Portuguese, who named the harbor Bom Bahia ("beautiful bay"), from which the name of the city is derived.
In 1661, Charles II of England received the islands of Bombay as dowry when he married Princess Catherine of Braganza. The British Government leased the islands to the East India Company, who developed it into a thriving trading port.
In 1668 it was leased to the British East India Company, which made its headquarters here in 1672.
Land-reclamation projects were undertaken in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Industrial development began in the 1850s with the construction of the first railroad and the establishment of the first cotton-spinning mill.
The cotton textile industry boomed during the American Civil War (1861-1865) when United States cotton shipments to Great Britain were interrupted; the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869 added greatly to the port's prominence.
from Mumbai by ship to: