Naples has a large harbor for passenger and merchant vessels and several smaller harbors that accommodate fishing and pleasure craft.
The port of Naples is one of the few ports in the world not to have been dismantled and transferred to other areas of the city. The current layout of the port of Naples has its origins in the end of the nineteenth century.
The port of Naples was greatly improved in the late 19th century. The city, which had long been subject to epidemics of cholera, was provided with a pure supply of water in 1884 and a new sewage system.
During World War II Naples was bombed repeatedly by the Allies until its capture in 1943; it was heavily damaged also by the retreating Germans.
This whart dates back to the fifteenth century.
It is situated in the western zone of the city in the old centre.
This century the plan is the renewal and conversion of the Wharf to a quay for mooring cruise liners and large yachts. Also passenger traffic in the bay of Naples and to the islands and coastal navigation can be included.
In the future the aim is to use the San Vincenzo Wharf for tourism by taking advantage of its position, the spectacular nature of the area and the natural walk which stretches for 1 km 800 metres.
Passenger area: the plan is to use the San Vincenzo Wharf.
Commercial area: this includes solid bulk cargo and liquid bulk cargo and containers. A regulatory plan intends to concentrate this activity in the eastern area of the port.
Shipyard area: this includes industrial ship repair facilities.
from Naples by cargoship to:
2747.com - Up